How FPV Drone Photography for Real Estate changes the game?
Aerial photography offers a unique perspective, showcasing properties, and their surroundings visually and captivatingly. This cutting-edge approach sets you apart from competitors and provides potential clients an immersive experience, ultimately driving interest and sales.
FPV drone photography for real estate offers a faster, more straightforward, and more cost-effective solution to capturing breathtaking images of properties.
With the ability to maneuver freely and precisely, drones can get the perfect shots from virtually any angle, allowing you to capture images that would otherwise be impossible from the ground.
This allows potential buyers to be captivated more than ever before.
Table of Contents
By George Nicola (Expert Stager)
Homeowners incorporating real estate drone photography and video featuring aerial photos of the property are up to 68% more likely to sell, signaling the importance of including drone imagery in today’s competitive market environment.
In this blog post, we’ll explore why you might want to spend the $300 per hour on drone photography’s numerous benefits for your real estate marketing, discuss legal requirements, and share tips on preparing for a successful shoot.
- Real estate aerial photography offers a unique perspective and stunning imagery that is impossible to achieve with traditional ground-level photography.
- Drones can provide comprehensive views of the property and surrounding area, highlighting key features and amenities that make properties stand out from competitors.
- Drone photography inspection can help you identify potential problems before they become more significant while saving time, effort, and money.
Read also: How To Take Good Estate Agent Photography?
What Is Real Estate Drone Photography?
By definition, real estate aerial photography is a subdivision of property photography services. A method of capturing aerial images and videos of properties using remote-controlled, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), commonly known as drones.
This cutting-edge technology allows photographers to document property from various angles and heights, which is impossible with traditional ground-based photography.
Unlike traditional helicopter or airplane-based aerial photography, which can be expensive, real estate drone photography offers cost-effective solutions while delivering high-quality images highlighting architectural elements and surrounding landscapes.
We can help you plan your drone photoshoot for optimal results >
What is FPV Drone Photography
FPV Drone Photography refers to using First-Person View (FPV) technology to capture aerial images and videos with drones.
FPV allows drone pilots to control their drones from the drone’s perspective, using head-mounted displays or goggles that show a live camera feed from the drone.
This technique is commonly used in drone racing and offers an immersive experience, enabling pilots to navigate more accurately and capture dynamic footage.
Types of real estate drone services
Aerial photography for estate agents offers unique vantage point and efficiency. Drones open up many possibilities for real estate and property-related services. As the technology improves, so will the capabilities.
- Property Videos – Drones can capture unique aerial footage and perspectives of homes, buildings, land etc. Dramatic sweeping views help showcase and market properties.
- 3D Modeling – Using photogrammetry techniques, drones can photograph properties from all angles and generate detailed 3D models. These high-quality digital replicas allow remote walkthroughs.
- Site Inspections – Drones equipped with cameras and sensors can inspect roofs, facades, terrain and other hard to reach areas for potential issues. This helps inform renovation or repair needs.
- Progress Monitoring – Developers use drone time-lapse videos and periodic aerial photography to monitor construction progress and workflow on large projects without site visits.
- Marketing Materials – Aerial perspectives captured by drones can be converted into eye-catching property brochures, websites, social media ads and other marketing collateral.
- Virtual Staging – Software can digitally build new development properties with landscaping based on drone photos, aiding the imagination of buyers.
- Property Management – Large commercial properties can be efficiently inspected, documented and managed over time using specialized drones and data analysis.
- Insurance Inspections – Insurers may use drones to thoroughly assess and document properties, especially in risky or disaster-prone areas to better understand coverage needs.
Advantages Of Aerial Property Photography
1. Unique Perspective and Stunning Imagery: aerial photography for estate agents captures high-resolution aerial photos and videos, enhancing the visual appeal of your listing and catching the attention of prospective buyers.
2. Comprehensive View of Property and Surrounding Area: Aerial photography of real estate showcases the size, dimensions, and layout of the property, as well as nearby amenities like schools, parks, and shopping centers, helping potential buyers evaluate the investment.
3. Highlights Key Features and Amenities: Drone photography is perfect for showcasing a property’s unique selling points, such as swimming pools, gardens, or luxurious fixtures, providing potential buyers with a detailed understanding of what the property offers.
4. Increases Property Visibility and Interest: Utilizing
aerial photography for estate agents marketing can significantly increase their marketing efforts and property’s visibility and appeal, attracting more online traffic and helping homes sell faster.
5. Improve Video Marketing: Having great cinematic shots and photos of any property for sale, it is easy to integrate with video marketing efforts becoming a focal point.
Benefits Of Drone Photography For Property Inspections
Real estate drone photography transforms property inspections by providing quicker, more efficient inspections, better visual documentation, and easy identification of hard-to-reach areas.
1. Quicker and More Efficient Inspections: Drone photography allows for faster and more accurate property inspections, capturing detailed images of exteriors and roofs in just minutes. This technology offers an effective way to conduct routine inspections without disruption or safety risks.
2. Better Visual Documentation: High-quality aerial drone footage provides a detailed view of the entire property, highlighting areas of concern or potential issues. This in-depth visual documentation saves time and labor costs while enabling informed decisions about maintenance and improvements.
3. Identifying Hard-to-Reach Areas: Drones can access difficult areas such as rooftops, chimneys, and gutters, providing high-resolution images that offer better insight into the property’s condition. This helps identify potential problems early, saving time and effort compared to traditional inspection methods.
Legal Requirements For Real Estate Drone Photography
The FAA has specific real estate drone photography regulations, including passing a certification test and obtaining liability insurance.
The FAA, or Federal Aviation Administration, is a U.S. government agency responsible for regulating and overseeing civil aviation within the United States.
The equivalents of the FAA in the UK and Canada are the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) in the UK and Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCCA) in Canada.
Both organizations are responsible for regulating and overseeing civil aviation within their respective countries, similar to the FAA in the United States
If you’re considering using aerial photos of your house with your own drone, it’s essential to understand the rules and regulations surrounding their use. Here are some key FAA regulations that you need to know:
- Non-recreational drone flying for real estate purposes is regulated by Part 107 of FAA regulations.
- All drones used for professional or commercial work need to be registered through the FAADroneZone website under FAA rules.
- Using drones for real estate photography requires knowledge of the rules around where and how you can legally fly.
- FAA regulations mandate that realtors hire an FAA-certified drone pilot to capture promotional visuals of their property listings.
- The aeronautical knowledge test, also known as Part 107, must be passed to obtain a remote pilot certificate for commercial operating a drone.
Liability insurance is a crucial aspect of drone photography. It covers the costs associated with third-party bodily injury or property damage caused by the drone during the shoot.
Without liability insurance, you could be held financially responsible for any accidents or mishaps during your drone photography session.
It’s essential to contact local insurance agents and tailor a specific policy for drone insurance coverage according to individual needs. This ensures that you have adequate protection while carrying out your business operations.
Tips For Hiring A Professional Real Estate Drone Photographer
When hiring a professional photographer, ensure they are certified and licensed, ask for references and their portfolio, and discuss pricing and equipment.
Check Certifications And Licenses
It’s important to ensure that the real estate drone photographer you hire has the necessary certifications and licenses for legal compliance. Here are some things to check for:
- FAA Certification: FAA or the corresponding department in your country requires all drone pilots to pass an aeronautical knowledge test and obtain a Remote Pilot Certificate before conducting commercial drone flights, including real estate photography.
- Liability Insurance: Real estate professionals should make sure the drone operator they hire carries liability insurance coverage in case of any accidents caused during the photo shoot.
- Professional Experience: It’s essential to look at the photographer’s portfolio and references from previous clients to ensure they have experience capturing quality aerial images of properties.
- State and Local Regulations: Different states and localities may have additional regulations regarding commercial drone operations, so it’s essential to check for any additional licensing or permits required in your area.
Checking these certifications and licenses can help avoid any legal issues and ensure that you hire a reputable professional to provide high-quality aerial images of your property.
Ask For References And a Drone Photography Portfolio
A good drone pilot will have a good portfolio with various properties showcased in different angles and light conditions. They should provide examples of highlighting key features and amenities in past shoots, giving potential buyers a comprehensive view of your property’s best aspects.
Aerial Photography Pricing And Equipment
It does not matter if you are hiring a professional drone photographer or FPV one; Discussing pricing and equipment is crucial. The standard starting price for hiring a drone pilot for real estate photography is $250 per hour; depending on the provider, you can get a per-day price averaging at ~ $1500.
Remember that photo and video editing is often not included in these prices and is sold as a separate service.
Property photographers often work with drone photographers as both services require different skills and equipment, so consider the costs of both for your marketing.
Hiring a reputable aerial photographer who will provide all necessary equipment, like drones with high-quality cameras and stabilizers, along with other add-ons such as lighting rigs or editing software, is best.
A higher-end camera will produce better-quality photos, which is vital in showcasing your property at its best.
With an expert in charge of capturing aerial footage and cutting-edge technology, they can bring out dynamic shots even in low light conditions that show off true colors and sharpness every time.
How to Prepare for Drone Photography (Flight Plan)
Before scheduling an aerial property photography shoot, it’s essential to prepare adequately. Notify neighbors and obtain necessary permissions, coordinate with the photographer, and ensure that the property is ready for its close-up.
Notify Neighbors And Obtain Permission If Needed
It is important to notify your neighbors and obtain permission, if needed, for a real estate drone photography shoot. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Talk to your neighbors ahead of time and explain the purpose of the shoot.
- If you plan on flying the drone over their property, make sure they are aware of this and feel comfortable with it.
- Be respectful of their privacy and schedule the shoot at a time that works for everyone.
- Consider using a small drone and planning the flight pathto help minimize any disruption or discomfort for your neighbors.
- If required by local regulations, obtain any necessary permits or approvals before proceeding with the shoot.
Remember that being considerate and respectful of your neighbors can go a long way in ensuring a smooth and successful real estate drone photography shoot.
Prepare The Property
Before scheduling an aerial photo of a house, homeowners must prepare their property. This means ensuring that the house’s exterior is clean and well-maintained, with no visible debris or clutter in the yard.
It’s also essential to communicate with neighbors and obtain permission if necessary. If there are any potential hazards, such as power lines, that could interfere with drone flight, these should be pointed out to the photographer ahead of time.
How to plan for an aerial photo of a house
The below both apply for PFV drone photography and standard photography.
Working with a professional real estate drone photographer is essential to ensure the success of your property listing. Discussing expectations and plans before the shoot is necessary to achieve precisely what you want.
Communicate with your photographer about which areas of your property should be highlighted, and note any special features that are particularly important to showcase.
If you can create a flight plan, use google maps with the location and capture the area; annotate and highlight the drone’s flight path, camera position, and what is essential in the video/photos.
In the example below, we have prepared a flight plan for an aerial shoot in Arizona, US. The property was on a hill overseeing the valley and an outdoor swimming pool, both important selling points which needed to be highlighted.
It’s crucial to coordinate the timing for the shoot in advance. Weather conditions play a big role in how aerial shots turn out, so it’s advisable to schedule shoots during suitable weather conditions when there is little wind or rain present. Check during what time of the day, shadows are best and visually help the photos.
Also, identifying obstructions such as trees or power lines could prevent the smooth execution of an aerial shoot if not accounted for beforehand.
We can help you plan your drone photoshoot for optimal results >
Real Estate Industry Trends And Future Outlook
The future of drone photography looks promising; with the increased technology adoption in the real estate industry, we can only expect future property marketing to get bolder and bolder.
1. Increased Adoption of Drone Technology: The real estate industry has embraced drones for stunning aerial footage, with a significant global market share for photography and filming services. Drones provide high-resolution photos and cinematic video tours, helping buyers make informed decisions and enhancing commercial property marketing campaigns.
2. Advancements in Drone Technology: Modern drones offer sharper cameras, faster processing speeds, longer battery life, and excellent maneuverability, resulting in higher-quality footage. For example, DJI Avata, an FPV drone, raises the bar for real estate photography by providing more excellent extended capability.
3. Potential for AI Integration: The integration of AI in real estate drone photography could enhance image quality and accuracy by automatically detecting and correcting distortions or imperfections. AI applications may save time in editing and lead to better overall results.
In conclusion, real estate drone photography is an excellent investment for homeowners looking to sell their properties quickly and efficiently. FPV drone photography is the topping of the cake.
Its unique perspective and stunning imagery provide a comprehensive view of the property and surrounding area, highlighting key features and amenities that can attract potential buyers.
Moreover, using drones in real estate marketing intensifies the advantages attributed to them, making them a novel choice for development.