Get the Most Out of Your Clients: Elevate Your Staging Consultations
TLDR: What Are the Benefits of Home Staging Consultations?
- Consultations are an excellent service in the staging industry that bring high returns on investment for a small amount.
- Stagers need to be confident and knowledgeable in their recommendations, familiar with the competition in their market, and experts on what sells in their market.
- Building trust, showcasing value, and developing a client relationship are crucial during consultations and can lead to additional services like project management or vendor services.
- Many online certification programs are available in the US, Canada, and the UK. They can provide accreditation, help package consultation services, and elevate the consultation part of the industry.
Table of Contents
If you are trying to become a home staging consultant, there is one important thing to learn. Maximizing staging ROI is crucial for sellers and realtors looking to sell properties quickly and at the best price possible.
Home staging consultations have proven to be effective in achieving this goal.
Still, stagers must have the right skills and knowledge to deliver valuable recommendations addressing any objections.
In this article, we will explore how to do a home staging consultation and maximize home staging ROI with a checklist and report.
By understanding the benefits of this service and building relationships with realtors, stagers can increase their value and provide innovative solutions that help sellers and realtors achieve their goals.
Are Staging Consultations in demand?
Staging consultations are widely regarded as the favorite service in the staging industry due to their high return on investment for a relatively small amount.
To deliver a successful consultation, stagers must exude confidence and knowledge in their recommendations, handle seller objections effectively, and build trusting relationships with their clients.
Stagers need to showcase the value of their service and be experts in what sells in their particular market.
Staging consultations are a popular service in the real estate industry, providing significant benefits for sellers, realtors, and stagers alike. These consultations typically last a few hours and cost around $250, yet they offer a high return on investment for a small amount. Resulting with a home staging report at then which clients can use to improve their chances to sell.
One of the biggest challenges for stagers during consultations is handling seller objections.
While stagers may worry about sellers being comfortable with their recommendations, it is essential, to be honest about the investment needed for staging.
Setting parameters upfront and discussing staging at the end of the consultation is crucial to avoid any confusion or disappointment.
Consultation pricing can vary depending on the value provided, and stagers need to be confident in the value they bring to the consultation.
Ultimately, consultation is about building client relationships and delivering massive value.
This is where certification programs, such as the International Association of Home Staging Professionals (IAHSP), can provide accreditation and help package consultation services to deliver the best results.
Read also: Best Virtual Staging App For Amateurs
home staging certification
Most accreditation programs will offer a range of modules focused on designing and pricing consultation services.
When selection one, pay attention if it covers some if not all points from the below list:
We can help you establish your home staging practice with beautiful virtual staging renders >
• A comprehensive overview of the home staging industry, including current trends and best practices
• Knowledge of consultation pricing strategies, including how to structure packages, value-based pricing, and market rate pricing
• Insight into the psychology of selling, including communication skills and negotiation strategies
• Creative problem-solving techniques for designing solutions tailored to each client’s unique needs
• An understanding of the legal aspects of home staging, including contract law, property rights, and insurance
• Access to resources and tools to help stagers create compelling proposals and presentations
• Guidance on developing a portfolio and marketing materials, including website design and social media strategies
• Ongoing support from experienced mentors and peers to help stagers stay on top of industry changes
By focusing on consultation services and obtaining accreditation, stagers can build their business around consultations, leading to referral business and additional services like project management or vendor services.
Realtors and Stagers
Realtors frequently suggest using home staging to enhance the appeal of a property and raise the list price.
They understand that staging can make a significant difference in the sale of a property, and consultation services play an essential role in the process.
In addition, stagers who offer consultation services can partner with realtors to provide added value to their clients.
Not only does a consultation help the seller understand the importance of staging, but it also increases the list price and the realtor’s reputation for delivering exceptional service.
The importance of referrals cannot be overstated in the staging business, and consultation services are an excellent way to build relationships with realtors.
By offering consultation services, stagers can demonstrate their expertise and establish a rapport with realtors.
This can lead to more business in the future, as realtors will refer their clients to trustworthy stagers.
Real estate is a relationship-based business, and consultation services can help stagers build strong relationships with realtors, leading to a steady stream of referrals and long-term success.
Staging Consultation Services
Let’s first separate what’s what.
A home staging consultation is a service where a professional home stager will meet with a homeowner to assess the house’s condition, recommend improvements, and discuss the best staging strategies to get the home in a market-ready state — issuing consultation report after the meeting.
Home staging is the process of preparing a home for sale by making improvements that will help the home stand out from other homes on the market. This involves rearranging furniture, making repairs, and adding décor that will help to create a positive impression on potential buyers.
Incorporating consultation services can help to improve a stager’s business in several ways.
- Firstly, it can help build trust and rapport with potential clients, as they will feel they are receiving professional advice tailored to their needs.
- Secondly, it can help increase the stager’s visibility, as it will be seen as a specialist service, not all stagers offer.
- Thirdly, consultation services can help increase the stager’s income, as it will be seen as a valuable service worth paying for.
- It can help to build the stager’s reputation, as clients will be more likely to recommend the stager’s services to their friends and family if they have had a positive experience.
The pricing strategies for consultation services can vary depending on the value provided, and stagers need to be confident and knowledgeable in their recommendations to earn the trust of their clients.
What happens during home staging consultation?
A professional home stager will first assess the home’s condition during a home staging consultation. They will consider the existing furniture, decor, and other elements already in place.
By focusing on building relationships and delivering value, consultation services can be a powerful tool for stagers to showcase their expertise and win over new clients.
They will then use their expertise to determine how to present the home to potential buyers best.
This could include rearranging furniture, making repairs, or adding decor to enhance the home’s appeal.
After the house has been assessed, the home stager will discuss their recommendations with the homeowner and help them create a plan to get the home ready for sale.
The outcome of a staging consultation should be a plan for how to present the home to potential buyers best.
This plan should include details on rearranging furniture, making repairs, and adding decor to enhance the home’s appeal.
Ultimately, the goal of a staging consultation is to help the homeowner create an attractive and inviting space that will help them attract more potential buyers and sell their home quickly.
Or even up-sell them to the full staging service. Despite that, the staging consultation should be helpful enough for the client to achieve good results.
Home stagers can offer virtual staging as an add-on service post consultation to help the client achieve the desired look without breaking the bank.
Virtual staging is a cost-effective way to transform the look of a room, as it requires no physical changes to the space and can often be done in a fraction of the time.
This could appeal to clients who cannot dedicate a large budget for the full staging service.
Building Relationships and Value
We can help you establish your home staging practice with beautiful virtual staging renders >
Establishing a strong connection with clients and demonstrating the value of consultation services is crucial for stagers to succeed in home selling.
Building relationships and delivering value are the most important aspects of consultations.
To achieve this, stagers must improve communication skills and effectively manage objections. Here are some ways that stagers can improve communication and manage complaints during consultations:
1. Listen actively to the client’s needs and concerns before making recommendations.
2. Use familiar language and avoid using jargon that may confuse the client.
3. Be honest and upfront about the investment needed for staging and the potential return on investment.
4. Address objections confidently and provide solutions that showcase the value of staging.
By improving communication skills and effectively managing objections, stagers can build trust, establish credibility, and win over clients, leading to successful home-selling outcomes.
Read also: Selling Probate House With Virtual Staging
How to do a home staging consultation?
- When undertaking a home staging consultation, it’s essential to establish the project scope, including the timeline, budget, and any necessary permits.
- After that, a house stager will tour the home and identify areas of improvement, such as paint colors, wall treatments, or furniture placement.
- Once they’ve estimated the budget, resources, and personnel needed to complete the project, they’ll create a custom staging plan tailored to the home, considering the owner’s preferences and lifestyle.
- This should include a comprehensive list of suggested improvements and repairs needed to enhance the home’s value and a detailed list of recommended furniture and accessories that best enhance the home’s appeal.
- The stager will then schedule a follow-up visit to review progress and address additional concerns.
- Finally, they’ll agree on a pricing and payment plan that is mutually beneficial for both parties, and the stager will finalize the staging plan and timeline to ensure the project is completed within the agreed-upon timeframe.
Home staging can be a great way to increase the value of your home and make it more attractive to potential buyers.
However, it’s important to understand the costs associated with home staging consultation fees before you begin the project.
With the right research and a clear understanding of the costs, you can ensure that your home staging project is a success.
Read also: Remote Home Staging (As A Second Business)?
Virtual home styling
Virtual home styling is a specialized service that allows people to benefit from the expertise of a professional home stager from the convenience of their own home. It can be used as an extended service to styling consultation.
- It offers a unique opportunity to take advantage of professional home staging advice without leaving the comfort of one’s home.
- By utilizing video conferencing, customers can receive personalized advice about how to best present their home for sale or arrange it for everyday living.
- The home stager will assess the home virtually, offering valuable tips and insights on maximizing the use of space and making it more aesthetically pleasing.
- The provided suggestions can range from rearranging furniture and decor to creating a focal point that will draw the attention of potential buyers.
- The service can be customized to fit the individual needs of the customer, allowing them to create a space that reflects their unique style and preferences.
Virtual home styling can be used to great effect with virtual staging. By using the latest imaging technology, the home stager can create a 3D representation of the home that can be used to showcase the potential of the space.
Through this virtual staging, they can suggest changes to the layout, color palette, furniture placement, and decor that will make the home more visually appealing and attractive to potential buyers.
Virtual staging can be used to illustrate the capacity of the space, such as how the furniture can be arranged in various ways to maximize the area. This allows the customer to create a more inviting atmosphere that will draw the attention of potential buyers.
Home staging consultation checklist
Below is a checklist we have prepared for one to take on their first staging consultation.
1. Project Scope and Timeline: Establish the project scope, including the timeline, budget, and any necessary permits.
2. Home Tour: Take a tour of the home and identify areas of improvement such as paint colors, wall treatments, or furniture placement.
3. Budget and Resources: Estimate the budget, resources, and personnel needed to complete the project.
4. Custom Staging Plan: Develop a custom staging plan tailored to the home, considering the owner’s preferences and lifestyle.
5. List of Suggested Improvements and Repairs: Create a comprehensive list of suggested improvements and repairs needed to enhance the home’s value.
6. Furniture and Accessories: Create a detailed list of recommended furniture and accessories that best enhance the home’s appeal.
7. Follow-up Visit: Schedule a follow-up visit to review progress and address additional concerns.
8. Pricing and Payment Plan: Agree on a pricing and payment plan that is mutually beneficial for both parties.
9. Finalize Staging Plan and Timeline: Finalize the staging plan and timeline to ensure the project is completed within the agreed-upon timeframe.
10. Written Agreement: Prepare a written agreement outlining the services and payment terms to ensure both parties agree.
home staging consultation fees
Home staging consultation fees can vary greatly depending on the home’s size, the project’s scope, and the location.
The Home Staging Institute suggests that the hourly rate for home staging should generally range from $100 to $200 for return on investment to the client at an extra $10,000 on average.
HomeGuide estimates that the cost of home staging can start at $500 and reach as high as $5,500, with most people spending between $1,600 and $2,400.
While Bankrate suggests that the average home staging cost is usually between $778 and $2,851.
Realtor.com suggests that the average cost for most stagers is \$300 to \$600 for an initial design consultation and \$500 to \$600 per month per staged room, and UpNest suggests that you can expect to pay between \$631 and \$2,312 for home staging services, with the average cost for a two-hour session being \$150 to \$600.
What is home staging consultation report and how to prepare one:
Home staging consultation reports are documents created by home staging professionals that provide an in-depth analysis of a property and its potential to be sold.
The report includes information about the property’s condition, any improvements needed or recommended, and a suggested list of items that should be included in the staging process. The report also includes photos of the home and a proposed budget for the staging process.
To prepare a home staging consultation report, the home staging professional should first visit the property and take interior and exterior photos.
Then, the professional should evaluate the property, noting any repairs that need to be made or improvements that could help increase the property’s sale value.
Finally, the professional should create a written report detailing their findings and recommendations and provide a suggested budget for the staging process.
We can help you establish your home staging practice with beautiful staged images >
Example of home staging consultation report:
Property: 123 Main Street, Anytown, USA
Date of Visit: 01/06/2023
This report is based on an on-site visit to 123 Main Street in Anytown, USA. The property is a two-story, three-bedroom home with an attached two-car garage.
Condition of Property:
The exterior of the property is in fair condition. The roof and siding appear to be in good condition. The landscaping is in good condition as well.
The interior of the property requires some repairs and updates. The kitchen and bathrooms need to be updated, and the carpets should be replaced. The walls should be repainted, and the windows should be replaced.
• Repaint walls
• Replace carpets
• Update kitchen and bathrooms
• Replace windows
• Perform minor landscaping repairs
• Remove all clutter and personal items
• Deep clean the property
• Repaint walls in neutral colors
• Refresh the landscaping
• Place neutral furniture and accessories in each room
The suggested budget for the staging process is $4,000. This budget should cover the cost of repainting the walls, replacing the carpets, updating the kitchen and bathrooms, replacing the windows, and performing minor landscaping repairs.
Virtual staging as a substitute can be used to provide prospective buyers with an accurate visual representation of the property’s potential without the need for costly physical staging.
Overall, 123 Main Street in Anytown, USA, has good sales potential. With the suggested improvements and staging, the property should attract buyers and yield a good return on investment.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
[Home Staging Professional]